Time for my first book review on this blog!
I finished the book How To Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie. I heard about this book from popular youtuber. They were talking about this book numerous times and It just peaked my curiosity and I had to check it out for myself. I bought this book about a year ago and I just finished it. Now my schedule is pretty hectic, or atleast for the past year it has been, and I didn't have much time to read it. But I finally finished and it has it's pros and cons.
I like the information it gives, it's not like i didn't know the principles that it was teaching, but Dale had a great way of reiterating it. It's a good read to remind you to put yourself in the other person's perspective. The book helps you work with others better and to bring out the best in others.'
The only con, which to me is pretty big and one reason why it took me so long to read it was that it wasn't as captivating as I was hoping it would be. I was thinking this book would hold my attention and at moments it did! especially in the beginning. But in the middle it got kinda slow. This book was written a long time ago and even though it's still very relevant today, you can tell it's very dated. I do have to say, this is the first "self-help" book i've ever read. So while i appreciate the tips, and even though it wasn't a challenging read, it just wasn't very interesting to me for the most part.
Overall, i think it's a good book to read at least once in your life. I definitely highlighted some of my favorite parts that i'll go back and reference from time to time. But if you are expecting some captivating read, well...... it's just not that. atleast not for me, who is someone who is a sucker for fiction novels.
Tell me your thoughts about this book, or what you're currently reading.
Monday, February 22, 2016
Friday, February 19, 2016
I need my pamper nights at least once a week! It's my "me" time and it's a great time to regroup and just enjoy being with myself. I don't have some serious intense routine but it's a nice little thing I do ever so often for about 45 - 75 minutes.
- put on a face mask - I choose a different one each time I have a pamper night, but face masks are crucial when having a pamper night for me, it's not a pamper night without one.
- moisturize and seal hair - I do this every other day but its nice to massage my scalp and moisturize on a pamper night. ( I cringed talking about my scalp lol)
- painting nails - I do this most pamper nights but not all. I love painting my nails, it's a great stress reliever.
What are your favorite things to do on your pamper nights?
Wednesday, February 17, 2016
So it's no secret that i'm trying to grow out my hair, and it's a long tough process. One thing that is good for you girls who want to grow out your hair, especially women of color is styling your hair in protective styles. Especially in these winter months, when the cold weather might dry out your scalp and ends it's good to keep your hair up and out of the harsh environment. Here are some of my favorite styles to rock!
It's simple and easy and keeps your ends from touching your clothing
Simple hairstyle that keeps your ends tucked away!
If I'm having a lazy day and i'm not going out, I keep my hair french braided in two side braids. I look crazy but braiding my hair is relaxing and whenever I take them down I have a nice curly texture in my hair
Milk Maid Braid
This is basically my french braid pinned in the back, if i dont want to take out my braids when i'm going out usually i'll just pin them up and go out. I don't know if this is technically a "milk maid braid" but this is my version of that hairstyle!
Friday, February 5, 2016
But I digress, today's post is about the things that have my attention right now and the things I'm looking forward to trying out one day.
1) Hunter Rainboots - Unfortunately my favorite rainboots have holes in them so it's time to invest in some new ones. I decided to bite the bullet and go for some Hunter Rainboots. It seems like everyone who has a pair is in love, so I want to figure out what all the fuss is about.
2) Black Opium - this year I really want to build my perfume collection, and I want to start with this perfume. I stole a sample from my mom and i'm in love with it!
3) Insta- Stax printer - this is something that I probably won't get, but I think that it's so handy that i'm putting this on my wishlist. I love my Polaroid camera but I hate that I have to guess when taking a picture, if I would've known about the printer before buying my camera I would have gotten the printer instead. It hooks up wirelessly to your phone and you know exactly what is going to print on the picture.
Wednesday, February 3, 2016
It's time for my January favorites, I don't know if i'll be doing this every month but I'll try to do this as much as I can.
Here are my favorite things from January:
- Erin Condren Life Planner - This thing is so much fun! I just need to get more sticker spreads, i'm so obsessed.
- iPad Mini 4 - again something I love so much, that I wrote a post about it. So i'll just say again this thing is wonderful! if you want to check out my post you can here.
- Soap & Glory Righteous Butter - This stuff smells amazing! and it feels so luxurious on the skin. I found it in Ulta and I had to get it! you should check it out if you get the chance.
- Reb'l Fleur by Rihanna - I love this perfume! Everytime I wear it I get compliments. Rihanna outdid herself with this perfume!
Here are my favorites for the month, tell me yours in the comments!